April 11, 2013

Graduates

Hello!!
I have been down memory lane the past week with our two oldest Grandgals graduating this Spring, and of course, that means in our family; a Quilt!  even two!.....so here is a peak of part of the quilt, from Fig Tree Quilts.  I have chosen the design, Fresh Vintage Patchwork ,in her book,  "With Fabric & Thread".  I recommend this book highly.  It is spiral bound with wonderful photography and a nice envelope in the back for the patterns.  I love her fabric also, but I only used a tad of it in the house roof in my first Grad Quilt.  As you can see , I used photos in the block sections.  The second quilt will be in blues mainly and smaller blocks will be used.  I admit I forgot to reduce my 8 inch blocks to 6 inch so the first quilt is quite large, so I will be redesigning the sides of that quilt with a running of small photos, so I can reduce the size of the now large quilt to a better twin size that will hang to the floor on the sides :).......you know, these photos will mean more to the girls with each passing year too and that is such a sweet thought....if they do use them on their beds the photos of their family and the sweet Grad Grandgals will keep them tucked in at night, where ever they go. I love that thought!!  I love young adults, kids, babies....I love them all!!!......
Fresh Vintage Patchwork
Also, we started our Lasagna Gardening.  Our daughter in loves' sweet father offered his Old hay in his barn for our use in our first Lasagna Garden.  We came home and spread the hay in our raised beds and planted 26 strawberry plants we had gotten, almost of free, in the fall.....I will keep you posted when we have Strawberry Blossom sightings!!   Lasagna Gardening   It is layering your compost and hay and enjoy weed free gardening....please use Hay and not Straw.....the hay has the nitrogen....plus you will enjoy less watering due to the moisture staying in the hay......  we will see.....and maybe even enjoy vegetables protected into December for harvesting!!!
Hay for Lasagna Gardening
So, I am busy busy this week with my Grad Quilts, plus yes, if you follow... Grandgals' Rose Garden Quilt...have to finish 50 more Roses on that one.  total over 150......we think.......its' in progress!!

Quilted Blessings!!!  Karen

yes, we are transplanted IU Buckeys!!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Pattilou said...

Some great things for your granddaughters.

We love our strawberries. Nothing quite like a sun warmed berry! We got quite a few last year. We have the raised beds and they are nice for some plants. Haven't given lasagna gardening a whirl yet. Thanks for the link.